Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Hungry Asian: Strawberry, Watermelon, Kiwi and Sneeze Breeze

One of my favorite nail bloggers, The Hungry Asian, recently held a sale of some of her awesome frankens.  I had been coveting Sneeze Breeze since I began following her blog and I sat at my computer hitting refresh as her sale began.  I didn't know how many people were similarly after her polishes so I wanted to make sure I was the first one on there!  I ended up getting 4 polishes for myself, and picking up another for SonyT.  SonyT will be posting her review of the polish she grabbed soon.  Kae (The Hungry Asian) managed to get the order shipped out by the next morning and I had them within two days.  She included a cute little note and my lovely polishes packed nice and securely.

I won't waste time reviewing the bottle or brush.  She is getting them from a distributor and they are average in quality.  I had no qualms with them.  Since these are frankens, I was expecting the worst in terms of application.  However, for the most part, these polishes were super smooth and easy to apply!  Anyways, here are some swatches!

Kiwi
 
3 coats Kiwi + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light

It really looks like the inside of a kiwi!  I probably said that 20 times the day I wore this as a full mani.  Kiwi is a "kiwi" green jelly-creme hybrid with fine black speckles.  According to the sale descriptions this is made from 3-Free bases.  This was a little goofy in application, as it was hard to keep enough polish on the brush to get smooth strokes.  Honestly, it's not even annoying, because this polish is adorable. 

Watermelon
2 coats Watermelon + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light

close up of the glitter

Watermelon, true to its name, is a "watermelon"-toned pink jelly-creme hybrid with fine green glitter (see last image for proof that it's really green).  This polish applied easily and was opaque in 2 coats.  I failed to capture the green coloring of the glitter, but it is obviously green IRL.  This polish is also made up of 3-free polishes! This is definitely a great summer mani or pedi color, and I expect to go reaching for it pretty frequently.

Strawberry
3 coats Strawberry + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light

Strawberry Close Up
Strawberry is a "strawberry" pinkish-red jelly with black speckles.  I was expecting this to be one that I liked, but I love this way more than I expected.  It was the easiest of the 4 to apply and as a bonus is also 3-free.  This is a little dark for me to wear as a summer mani, but is perfect for a night out or a day-at-the-pool pedi. 

Sneeze Breeze
2 coats Sneeze Breeze over 2 coats ChG Liquid Leather, artificial light



Black AND Blue speckles
Last, but certainly not least, is Sneeze Breeze.   It's a clear jelly with densely packed, fine black and bright blue speckles.  The base is thick, but not unmanageably so, and I believe this is also 3-free.  I wore this as a mani without top-coat, as it dries smooth without one.  This polish looks great over white or black bases, and probably over other colors that I haven't had a chance to try yet.  Here I layered it over China Glaze Liquid Leather.  It's almost a brown but looks totally black in 2 coats.  This has the effect of hiding the blue speckles, but I am obsessed with the result.  This polish was totally worth the wait.

As a final note, I know that at least a large portion of Kae's proceeds go to Red Cross efforts in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan.  So if anyone is having trouble justifying the purchase of any more polish, you can justify it as a donation to a great charitable cause!

Thanks Kae!  I love your blog and my new polishes!

-Shbecky

2 comments:

  1. I love the Kiwi & Strawberry so much! Kae is so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's extremely talented! I love the speckled look she creates and they really look like fruit :)

    ReplyDelete