Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Neon Yellow Wednesday?


Hello fellow polish hoarders!

Hope everyone had a GREAT 4th of July weekend. I crisped in the sun on Friday and spent much of the weekend lounging around with the boyfriend =). It was a nice break from all the work I have been swamped with. I forced myself to relax and don't regret it! Today, as I sit in my second to last class, I sifted through some of my old swatches and found one to share.... another member of the fabulous Poolside Collection, here is China Glaze Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. I wish I had a pink to share since it is "Pink Wednesday" and in fact, I do have a great muted pink on my toes. But I will spare you photos.

Yellow Polka Dot Bikini is the epitome of highlighter yellow. The color is fabulous and certainly fits in well with a fabulous collection. This polish is a "true neon," and by that I mean that it is a matte. Mattes very quickly so do not try to tweak or perfect the mani on the first, or even second go around. Be patient! While the jarringly bright yellow was great, the coverage of this polish was horrific. After two thick coats, my nails still looked like:

So I immediately removed the polish and decided to try a coat of white underneath. This was the first time I tried this method and it worked perfectly (except for the white peaking out at the base of my nail). I have since learned to leave a bit of a gap between the white polish and my cuticles - this gives me a little wiggle room. When I threw this polish over the white, the color popped even more so than it did in the bottle.

middle finger has a layer of white polish underneath 2 coats of Yellow Polka Dot Bikini while others do not, natural light

middle finger has a layer of white polish underneath 2 coats of Yellow Polka Dot Bikini while others do not, artificial light


Verdict? I love the entire Poolside Collection color-wise. Each and every polish is so freakin bright and almost painful to look at - the perfect match for a summer tan. In fact, my little sister fell in love with Flip Flop Fantasy when she was over at my apartment this past weekend. She ended up painting it on her nails and topped it with my beloved Nubar 2010 (must be in the genes). Unfortunately however, some of these polishes are not as great when it comes to opaque coverage. Without the white layer underneath, this particular mani was just not an option for me. I will definitely be holding on to these beauties, but unfortunately they won't be getting as much wear as I had anticipated when I first bought them.

Sony T





1 comment: