Sunday, May 15, 2011

OPI Suede Collection: Suzi Skis in the Pyreness & You Don't Know Jacques!

HELLO WORLD IS RIGHT!!

Sorry I have been a bit delayed on posting. I just started my judicial internship this past week, and the early mornings definitely took their toll. On a positive note, the internship is going super well so far! On Day 1, I walked in and was handed my first case to review and "memo" for my judge. I'll keep you posted on the progress. It definitely helps that everyone I work with is incredibly nice and happy to help me. I do have a super long drive to the courthouse and back, but thankfully it is against traffic. Anywhoo - enough LEGALLY, it is time for some LACQUERED!! One of the trends I was most excited about was OPI's Suede Collection so I bought a few: Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees & You Don't Know Jacques!.


LOVE them both and can't wait to get more. Now, let me tell you why. Each of these polishes packs a one-two punch. First and foremost, you can rock the "suede" look. And if you are anything like me and Shbecky, you will probably get bored of your manicure after a few days. Good news: all you have to do is throw on a coat of Seche Vite top coat for a second look! (Below I applied top coat to half of each nail so you could see the difference.) But like every one-of-a-kind polish, there are some downsides to OPI Suedes.

1. For those of you who apply cuticle oil to your nails after painting them - you're gonna have to adjust your routine a bit. The oil will break down the suede polish. I tried massaging the oil into my cuticles before applying the polish and this worked fine.

2. I tried to paint these polishes over a layer of Seche Ridge Filling Base Coat and the two did NOT get along well. The suede polishes have a tendency to clump up as it is, and the base coat only enhanced this not-so-great quality. So I opted to apply these polishes without any base coat. This was okay by me, cause the Suede polishes (if worn without a top coat) tend to wear pretty quickly so I was base coat-less for only a few days.

3. In order for the suede effect to work, the polish has to dry SUPER quickly (kinda like shatter). So try your best to apply an even coat every time and don't try to tweak the polish while it is still wet. It will be tempting, cause the first coat doesn't look promising and may have some bald spots. BUT don't fret - the second coat will smooth it all out. In fact, two coats is all I needed with both of these polishes (unless I added a third in the form of a top coat).

Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees is a salt and pepper, grey meets silver. Without a top coat, you can really see the awesome texture that is "suede." Throw on a top coat, and voila - the muted grey specks turn into sparkly silver. The third picture (below) does not even do this second look justice (for the life of me, I could not capture the shine).

2 coats Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees, artificial light


2 coats Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees, natural light


2 coats Suzi Skis in the Pyrenees (right half of nail also has 1 coat Seche Vite top coat), natural light


And second, You Don't Know Jacques!. Admittedly, this polish is the more unique color of the two. Without a top coat, this polish looks exactly like wet sand. I've never seen anything like it. You can see the grainy-ness, but the polish is smooth to the touch. Fabulousness. The transformation from a suede to a suede+topcoat is less dramatic, but still gorgeous. The top coat brings out all the gold/copper specks throughout this polish. One word: LOVE.


2 coats You Don't Know Jacques!, artificial light


2 coats You Don't Know Jacques!, natural light


2 coats You Don't Know Jacques! (right half of nail also has 1 coat Seche Vite top coat), natural light


What do you guys think? Do you have any must-have suedes? I am on the hunt for a few others and am TRYING to control myself and not buy the whole collection (the boyfriend would KILL me).

For me, the outcome of this case is pretty clear: verdict FOR the polish. Until next time, Legally Lacquered's Court of Polish is adjourned.

- Sony T

No comments:

Post a Comment