Thursday, May 19, 2011

New Deborah Lippmann! Spring/Summer 2011

Yay!  I'm finally back in DC and happy to be back in the real world.  As soon as I was awake and functioning today I ran downstairs to grab all of my lovely new nail polish packages that were waiting for me.  I was had 6 packages in my mailbox and 5 in the package room.  The new front desk woman looked at me like I was out of my mind, which I very well may be.  Eisenbrat dubbed my collection as "helmer status," and my beautiful collection is about to outgrow my newly constructed Helmer :).

Anywho - I was super excited that I received all of the new Deborah Lippmann polishes in my absence.  I had used coupons to get them all for a steal and after falling in love with Call Me Irresponsible last week I couldn't wait to try these out.  Deborah Lippmann did not disappoint with these additions.   I stand by my previous assertion that I am happy to pay $16-$20 for polish that seems to paint itself.  I know that at least Yellow Brick Road was released early due to high demand after Lady Gaga sported the polish a little while back, but it definitely still tops my list of yellow polishes.   OK - I'm rambling, let's check out some polish.

Lara's Theme
2 coats Lara's Theme + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light
Lara's Theme was created with supermodel Lara Stone and is a firey reddish-orange creme.  The polish reaches opacity in 2 coats, and if you're really lucky/an application goddess you may be able to get away with one coat.  This polish was almost as incredible as Call Me Irresponsible.  I managed to get a pretty smooth cuticle gap with ZERO clean up.  I know I have a thing for orange polish this spring, but everyone needs this polish.
Lara's Theme bottle

Yellow Brick Road
4.5 coats Yellow Brick Road + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light
Yellow Brick Road is bright yellow jelly that is particularly translucent even for a jelly.  Don't get me wrong, the polish is gorgeous in true Lippmann fashion, but this polish needs a lot of layering.  I need to try this over a white or nude polish to see if that helps cut down coats.  I ended up needing 4-5 coats to get a relatively unpatchy swatch.  Yellow Brick Road is a little thick to be so translucent and require so many coats.  I didn't wear this as a full mani, and didn't really let it dry all the way, so I'm not sure if it would even dry this thick at this many coats.  I will definitely give this another try and get back to you all.  If you have no qualms with a little VNL then this is no big deal.  Slap on 2 perfect coats and you'll have a new fave yellow!

Girls Just Want To Have Fun
2 coats, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light
 Girls Just Want To Have Fun is a peachy orange-pink jelly/creme hybrid.  It reaches perfect opacity in 2 coats.  When I first saw bottle pics of the new collection I was surprised that there were two colors that were so orange.  But IRL the colors have turned out to be quite different.  This color is far more pink than Lara's Theme.  The two colors even look similar in the bottle.  They are both a dream to apply, but my guess is that unless you have reached "helmer status" like I have you don't need both. 

I Know What Boys Like
2 coats Girls Just Want To Have Fun + 1 coat Seche Vite, artificial light                         
I Know What Boys Like is a blue-purple (plue?) creme.  You are probably tired of me saying I love polishes, but this polish is completely gorgeous.  I wore this as a full mani on my date night with the bf topped with CND Effects Copper Shimmer, and I couldn't stop staring at it.  It's great when cremes have this much depth.  This was opaque in 2 coats and I probably could have left it at 1 coat!  Deborah Lippmann polishes really stand out to me for their ability to stay where you put them.  It's just so easy to use them.  Even if the colors were heinous I'd still use them. 
Pretty cool label reflection on the bottle
Verdict? Stashing them all.  Yellow Brick Road will require some more testing, but is GORGEOUS in coloring.  The colors aren't necessarily the most unique, but I promise you don't have a better version of these colors no matter how big your stash s.  You can probably pick between Lara's Theme and Girls Just Want To Have Fun based on preference and your own skin tone, but I will certainly be keeping them both.

Do you agree that these polishes are a dream to apply?  Has anyone else tried these?  What do you think?

-Shbecky

P.S.  Ignore the lovely paper cuts I have recently acquired, you can blame my bf's backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment